Saturday, August 25, 2012

My First Week In Japan


On the first morning walk outside my hotel, Betty Boop greeted me. The weather has been very hot and humid. Many Japanese women use rain umbrellas to keep themselves in the shade.



A block from New Yokosuka Hotel is a wide array of shops. This fruit and vegetable store has reasonable prices and delicious produce.


The Red Cross was holding a blood drive on a plaza that was between the shops. The plaza seems to be a good place for local vendors without shops to set up a mini market. 


Americans call this Blue Street because of the blue lines on sidewalk and blue chips in road. Busy place at night, with after work shoppers and diners or those just passing through to catch the train.


This is a Japanese version of a dollar store.  100 Yen shop ($1.28) for us. (+ 5% sales tax).



The Japanese like their water VERY HOT. The water pressure in the shower is fabulous. 


View in my hotel room.


View in my hotel room.


View in my hotel room.


View in my hotel bathroom.


My room at the Hotel New Yokosuka is compact yet comfortable. I can see the Yokosuka Naval Gate from my window. You have to place the room key fob in a port on the wall to activate your electricity.  It’s a very large step into the tub!



Yokosuka Street Fair. Donald Duck!?


Yokosuka Street Fair.  I'm with a friend I met at the hotel.


Yokosuka Street Fair.


Yokosuka Street Fair.


The local fairs are the same as the U.S.  Fun, food, and entertainment!


View from possible new apartment in Nobi. Beautiful view, but the area is not good for swimming. Great for walking and enjoying the sound and smell of the water. Very quiet. The train is about a 10 minute walk. Then a 20 minute train ride. Then a 10 minute walk to main gate. Then the base bus shuttle ride to near school.  It would be an hour commute, but I would get into great shape.  Still going to see if I can get into housing closer to base or on base.  Decisions, Decisions…


Picture of my sweaty self after walking down to see the water

The Japanese people are so warm and will go out of their way to help even if they have very limited English skills.  I was walking back from town and spoke to the doughnut maker (doughnuts made by hand and filled with a sweet bean curd) and he invited me to sit down and immediately poured me a beer and served me some sliced fresh tomatoes.  He then showed me pictures of his family and was so proud of his new grandson.  Another customer joined our conversation and asked if I would be willing to teach him English.  He said he would pay me 1,500 yen an hour.  The Japanese think their English isn’t that good, so they are usually tentative to use it, but when they do, it is amazing how well they can speak.  I only hope I can learn some Japanese from new friends here.

This past week was spent at orientation learning about Japanese customs, history, holidays, sports, transportation, etc.  We had driving instruction and took the written test (I did pass), learned about the train systems and took a field trip.  Also was made aware of the various base support systems and how to deal with various areas that relate to us.

I haven’t spent much time at school.  Looks like I will spend Sunday there trying to get ready for the first week of school.  I will be teaching reading and the language arts teacher has been mentoring me since I arrived to make my transition easier. I am looking forward to working with the nice staff at the school.
I miss everyone and hope you enjoyed this little update. 

Love and hugs to all!!!!!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment